The Act would help put an end to leakers sharing Supreme Court decisions.
Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith joined with Senators Bill Cassidy, MD (R-La.) And Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) To introduce legislation that would criminalize individuals who leak confidential information from the Supreme Court of the United States.
The Stop Supreme Court Leakers Act would impose a $ 10,000 fine and up to a 10-year prison sentence on those who leak confidential information from the Supreme Court. Additionally, the measure would authorize the seizure of profits derived from the leak which could include book deals or cable television contributor contracts.
“The egregious leak of a draft opinion in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health harmed the Supreme Court as an institution, particularly if that betrayal was done to intimidate justices or influence the outcome of the case, ”Hyde-Smith said. “Anyone who chooses to leak confidential information from the highest court in our land should be held accountable, and that’s precisely what this bill seeks to accomplish.”
The Stop Supreme Court Leakers Act (S.4455) criminalizes leaks of the following information:
- Internal notes on cases heard by the Supreme Court.
- Any communication between the Chief Justice of the United States or an associate justice of the Supreme Court and an employee or officer of the Supreme Court on a matter pending before the Supreme Court.
- A communication between officers and employees of the Supreme Court on a matter pending before the Supreme Court.
- A draft opinion or a final opinion prior to the date on which such opinion is released to the public.
- Personal information of the Chief Justice of the United States or an associate justice of the Supreme Court that is not otherwise legally available to the public.
- Any other information designated to be confidential by the Chief Justice of the United States.
Original Article reposted fromSource link
Disclaimer: The website autopost contents from credible news sources and we are not the original creators. If we Have added some content that belongs to you or your organization by mistake, We are sorry for that. We apologize for that and assure you that this won’t be repeated in future. If you are the rightful owner of the content used in our Website, please mail us with your Name, Organization Name, Contact Details, Copyright infringing URL and Copyright Proof (URL or Legal Document) aT spacksdigital @ gmail.com
I assure you that, I will remove the infringing content Within 48 Hours.